Friday, April 16, 2010

Blue

I took a drive the other night. I wound up on Rt. 50 heading west. I turned left on some beat up little offshoot of a road and headed down towards the river. I got to a curve and turned off into a small lot. It was quiet and there wasn't a soul about. The sun set and I would've been content to watch it rise again. The shot is tilted, not for an artistic effect, but because I had to set the timer and prop it up against the antenna of the car.

Babies become aware of their toes. Teenagers become aware of their independence. There's a blue in the sky that presents itself only after the sun has set. The richness of it is unmatched. Everyone's seen... maybe even acknowledged it. I first became aware of this blue while I was working at Kroger in high school. I'd punch out for my break, grab a snack and rest my legs on the bench outside. I just happened to look up one night and I thought, "Wow. That's a really blue, blue."

Then I found a twenty-dollar bill.