Monday, September 15, 2008

What the H-Cane?

Yesterday started much like any other... with a hangover. I kid, I kid. Although, my head still pounded from having to endure the frustration of another coaching meltdown courtesy of the Ohio State Buckeyes. Three strikes, you're out Tress. I'm not asking for your papers so much as Heacock's. These guys were so cued up on cues, they let a simple pick route go for six? Well done... you make your players look stupid... again. Dantonio, if you're out there and are tired of the Lansing nightlife, Columbus is calling... or should be.

So after a lazy morning, I took to the bike and headed to Griggs for a run. No doubt, it was a windy day. I didn't realize it was the remnants of Hurricane Ike. I thought it was finally that front making it's way on through. Got to the reservoir without too much trouble and took off on foot. About halfway through the run, I noticed how much windier it had gotten. A majority of the route meanders under black walnut and sycamore trees. I found myself dodging sticks and debris... hoping a large limb wasn't next.

After finishing, I rested on a bench that sat on top of a hill near the dam as the wind continued to grow in intensity. I sat in a clearing so I wasn't too concerned, but large limbs on large trees started to come down with frequency. Then half of a tree collapsed onto the road below me... followed by an entire tree giving way. It was a little surreal. I never felt like I was in any kind of danger, but whole trees were falling down around me. So I headed back home on the bike and the ride home was an entirely different scene from what I had encountered on the way in. Not far up the road, a tree had fallen onto two houses. Large limbs were strewn about. The wind easily knocked me around on the bike. I got home to find a downed tree in our front yard and the neighbor's trees didn't make it either. It was nuts. We were somehow one of the few with power. Driving around last night, we were lucky. We did almost wreck into a felled tree on Riverside. Fun for me, not for Erica.

No comments: