Monday, March 16, 2009

The 'burgh

We spent St. Patty's Day weekend tearing up Pittsburgh, PA whilst visiting a friend of Erica's. I don't know about everyone else, but I had a great time. Who knows what it is, but I fall in love with places like this. The grittier it is, the better. Throw in two rivers and crazy hills... OMG!

Erica and myself along with her friend, Amy, and her significant other took the "Mon" incline down to the river Friday night and spent the better part of it belly up to a bar watching basketball and enjoying a deceptively good burger. We missed the last ride up the hill, but it's literally a $5 cab ride up. In my younger years, I may have challenged someone to a climb. You cover less than two-tenths of a mile but end up climbing almost 450'. Mt. Adams... maybe. Mt. Washington... probably not. Then it was into Redbeard's for a couple of night caps. It's a locals bar. I haven't seen that many backward hats since we went out in Cheviot last fall. It's one of those places that's doing just fine without you, thanks. In fact, that whole neighborhood would be better off if you just went back from where you came. Somewhat tense at times, especially when the guy at the door started in on Erica as soon as she walked in. So yes, it could've ended badly, but I had to step in and say something. Luckily, we were able to enjoy a couple of beverages which the bartender was tipped generously for and we finally found our beds a couple blocks away later that night.

The next day was the St. Patty's Day celebration. I would've liked to have seen the parade, but no one really got moving until later in the morning. But we were able to walk around the neighborhood, eat some some local fare and enjoy people watching as some folks had had more than enough by noon. The rest of the weekend was spent on the outskirts of town just hanging out. The pictures were taken at Amy's place in Mt. Washington. Her dog, Riley, in the upstairs window and some wandering shots amongst the nameless streets.

1 comment:

Nate Williams said...

I have been to the burgh about 5 times and I must say it is underrated!!! Great place!!