Monday, November 15, 2010

Benched

We moved into our house in May. Since then, I've quietly gone about finding possible solutions to my tool storage conundrum. We have a nice bench in the attached garage that the original owner put in but Erica likes parking her car there and the bench itself would need some upgrades. We have a detached garage but it doesn't have any electric so I'd have to get an electrician to run an extra line from my box, out of the house, under the driveway and back to the garage. And even if I did get it back there, I'd still be cold in the winter.

A couple of weeks ago, I was hanging some sweaty clothes downstairs and the thought of a bench in a nook of the foundation hit me like the pungent smell of dirty running shorts... and that was all it took. I drew up a little sketch, bought the wood and began assembling my very first work bench.

It's exactly what I needed because I built it. I'm a taller guy that's always wanted a desk I could stand at while working so I made the height 47". I acknowledged that I'd probably need an area just a little bit lower for a vice grip or some other yet unknown task, so I put that in, too. All that's left to do is put a 1x4 face on it and secure some of those 2x4's to the wall.

It came in handy over the weekend when I tore the kitchen out. I had everything organized and easy to get to in one localized space. And that circular saw is just for effect. Totally not mine.

No comments: