Friday, October 16, 2009

Rave Run #2

I'll take part in my 2nd Columbus Marathon in as many years. I still have no idea how I'm going to approach this thing. Up until last week, this was going to be my last long run (run 22, walk/jog the rest) before the Monumental in Indy on the 7th of November (my brother's birthday!). But alas, the competitive bug may have gotten the best of me. Bottom line is that aside from some inflammation in my IT Band (should be taken care of by Sunday), my legs feel really good and strong. I feel like I'm in 3:04-3:05 shape, so what's wrong with carrying 7:15's through 20? Oh, I should know better by now, but I've got a thick head and am inclined to being stubborn. But the jury is still out and common sense may prevail in the end.

However, whilst in the middle of indecision, I was thinking about a run this past winter. It ended up being a contributing factor to me bringing the mini digi on a couple of my longer runs as I trained for the Indy Mini. I started out as I usually do on Friday mornings... early. It was a cold morning with snow on the ground. The intended route was Griggs Reservoir. It's a favorite of mine for the mid-length long runs as well as a great place for sledding in the winter. As I entered the park and turned right along the paved road, a beige Honda came quietly from behind and passed me as it continued on around a slight turn and out of sight. As I made my way around, I saw the Honda pulled over to the side of the road with the trunk open and its driver leaning an old wooden rail sled against a nearby tree. He quickly made his way back to the car, closed the trunk, jumped inside and eased the car to a stop in the open lot. I passed by but was curious about what would happen next. The man I'd seen leaning the sled against the tree had to be near 60, if not older. He wasn't going to seriously sled down that hill, was he? The road takes a sharp left and then a sharp right under Fishinger Road. I stopped under the bridge to look back. He had gotten out of the car, grabbed the sled and was making his way to the top of the embankment.

I decided to let him have his fun and I went on to the end of the park road before turning around to make my way back home. When I came back under the bridge at Fishinger, the car was gone, but the sled stood against the tree. But how freaking cool was that? Some old guy taking the sled out for one last run before passing it down the line. I feel like you only do that when you, yourself have gotten so much enjoyment out of something that you can't imagine putting it out to the curb. He probably took his kids to the very same spot years ago with that same sled. And then again, maybe not, but I'd like to think he did.

Happy trails.

No comments: