Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ronald English Here!

An Over-the-Rhine resident and street artist. He often announces himself upon entering the studio. Yes Ronald, you are definitely here. I hope you're here for a long time. I noticed a huuuuge mural of Jim Tarbell at Central Parkway and Vine Streets the last time I was in town and had some mixed emotions about it.

I've never been a big fan of Tarbell, so why not Ronald English? Ronald has no financial commitments in OTR. He doesn't own property, nor does he have his hand in some of the recent developments that have taken shape in the area. He's the most un-biased embodiment of OTR I've ever known, but it's Tarbell that gets the mural.

I've always hoped for a renaissance of Over-the-Rhine, but the idea of what it might look like has changed over the years. If development wins, Ronald will eventually lose. I don't want to see that. I'd feel bad for Ronald, but also because I know who would take his place.

No comments: