Monday, October 4, 2010

Unequal Parts

Replacing front brakes without the T-Man = this. Replacing back brakes in Piqua with the T-Man and his burgeoning arsenal of tools = two easy breezy hours and nary a drop of sweat adorning either of our brows. What a difference a lot of help makes.

Such is the case in life... not just brakes. More than once yesterday, I thought to myself that I'd be one lost puppy if not for the guidance of multiple individuals. I wish I could remember that when I'm making snap judgments of someone.

Anyways, enough of that. Friday night played witness to one of the most epic nights in ping pong history. Ole Gordy came down and we made our way to GABP for a the first game in the Reds' final series of the year against the Brewers. It was a frustrating loss in extras so we made our way to Covington to a bar called the Down Under. Rumor has it that there are some mean games of pong played in the back room past the bar. We found it without trouble and after waiting our turn played for the better part of three hours and almost 20 games. When the smoke had cleared and the paddles dropped, yours truly had El Capitan by a game. Could the feat be repeated? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm anxious to find out and I'm sure Gordonéz is as well. He likes losing about as much as I do.

But I was up bright and early for a 5K Walk for mental illness in Hamilton. Something Erica had to be a part of for work. It was a nice morning for a walk and we ended up having a good time. Then it was off to Piqua to watch my two nieces while everyone else went out and partied. It was worth it. Those girls... too cute.

Then it was up early again so I could make it in plenty of time to the Oktoberfest 10K in Minster. This was year number three and while I was hoping for a PR, I knew in the back of my head that the summer didn't help matters. Not only that, but I was seven pounds heavier than last year and I wasn't putting up big weekly mileage numbers like I had been when preparing for Columbus '09. My premonitions were confirmed when I hit the track earlier that week and had a pretty tough workout when it shouldn't have been all that hard. Sooo... with that in mind, I took it easy in the opening miles and that cost me in the end. Not sure if I could've mustered a faster finish or not. Hard to say. I was working hard but there came a point at Mile 5.5 when I wanted to make a move and keep up with a couple of runners that had passed me at Mile 5 as well as keep distance on a fast-closing group behind me. I made the move and found that I had another gear left. Ended up pulling away from all of them. "Where did that come from?," I wondered. Didn't add up. I should've been spent. Makes me a little peeved that I probably left a whole lot out there. Final tally was a 40:14.

Then it was back to Piqua and a nap before tackling the brakes and making the drive home. Whew... I could use another nap. Compliments to Erica for taking the pics while our hands were full o' grease. Also, in addendum to the last post, Bradley's endeavor made cincinnati.com. See for yourself.

No comments: