Monday, October 13, 2008

Holy Union!

The weekend was a good one. It was supposed to be a low-key Friday night, but upon returning home, our neighbors were throwing down on some brews and campfires and they asked us to join them... so we did... and ended up staying out until well past two in the morning. It was worth it.

It was off to Cleveland for a wedding on Saturday. It was a perfect day for a wedding. Tommy Dome was the groom. Erica met him at OU while serving a community service sentence for open container. Kids. But he was a seminarian for some time and then was not, and is now married. It was a great time and met some interesting folk.

I was thinking we'd be able to tool around the city for a bit on Sunday, but the closest we got was a view of the skyline from our room at the Sheraton. And what's the cost of a clean hotel room? Obviously, I'm not paying enough so I want to know.

And just to note... I've tried to keep politics out of this and I try not to get too heated in conversation with strangers... as is written in the politically correct bylaws... but dammit, we're three weeks out of the most important election I'll ever take part in. I'm not a political person and I don't try to pretend that I know everything about this election as that would be impossible, but I do know that I refuse to base my decision off of a TV ad, televised debate or gossip. I know that if you want the truth, you have to search it out. You have to dig deep because there isn't a soul running in any election that's going to spoon-feed it to you. What they will feed you is bullshit because apathy is their greatest ally. I never knew Kurt Cobain on a personal level, but I feel close to a quote of his:
"My generation's apathy. I'm disgusted with it. I'm disgusted with my own apathy too, for being spineless and not always standing up against racism, sexism and all other -isms the counterculture has been whining about for years."
Discuss it with people you respect. See what they have to say about it. Read. Gain insight any way you know how, but it's hard for me when people tell me they just don't care... and it's their right to not care. Again, I'm not some pundit preaching in people's ears, but there are issues that I care about. And there isn't a candidate that completely aligns with my views, but I wouldn't necessarily expect that. I just want to pick the one that aligns the best. After half-assing it through much of my life, I'd like to maybe do things the right way from here on out... or at least try.

No comments: