Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fly Bye

This fly really has nothing to do with me, just my day. I don't know if the suddenly-cold air has brought them inside or if they've been hiding out in corners all along, but these varmints are wandering around under my desk drunk on the stagnant air, which makes them easy targets. Or maybe they're just tired. You could almost say they were delirious. So maybe it does have something to do with me.

It's officially under 60 hours until my alarm sounds and I'm up preparing for my first marathon. I never thought I would and I'd be content if I never did... but I'm committed. I haven't given it much thought up to now. I took it one week at a time, but now there's just one more item to check off the list... the actual race. I'm looking forward to it for a number of reasons. First and foremost, you get to interact with a lot of great people that are in the same boat you are. My sister is coming up to run the half with Erica and I like to see that. My friend, Hoffmann, is hosting a marathon party to cheer on runners as they pass, including me, and I look forward to seeing them there... if only for a minute. And my parents will be at the finish and I know we'll be hanging out afterwards.

But the butterflies are still playing Slam Jam in my stomach and probably will be until those first couple miles are under my belt. And I suppose that's expected. I remember not being able to fall asleep at all the night before my first Indy Mini. It's just a part of the process. But I really really really don't want to end up like this fly... deliriously trying to find my way to the finish... only to have some big monsterface step on me. But here goes nothin'. A good time with family and friends still awaits me after the run... whether I hit my goal or not.

No comments: