Monday, December 1, 2008

Giving Thanks

Well, the United States took part in a little Turkey Day celebration over the long weekend. I wonder how many turkeys have been killed in the name of giving thanks? Could this be like a modern-day sacrifice... ehh... to ourselves? Either way, our families did their part to celebrate as well. The annual Turkey Bowl was punctuated with an engagement. My cousin, Andy, took advantage of having everyone in one spot and popped the question. She, of course, said yes, and then told everyone that he had told her of his plans the previous night after a few too many beers. Oh well, at least I was surprised. The rest of the day was spent at 500 Adams Street, eating turkey and trying to find 15 minutes of quiet so I could steal a nap. Nothing doing.

That night we made our way to Cincinnati. Got up early for a slow, slow run and stayed the hell away from Black Friday. We should be ashamed of ourselves. A man is trampled to death because of $400 flat screen TVs? A woman run over in the parking lot due to the mad dash? We need a T.O. from Christmas or some kind of wake-up call. It's not right that our greed has become this insatiable.

We went out that night in Cheviot to celebrate Abbi's birthday. Always a good time with that group. Got to sleep in Saturday and got ready for the Weiss Thanksgiving dinner. Watched football intermittently throughout the day and into the night. Stayed up way too late playing yahtzee and finally found our beds around 2 a.m..

Then it was off to Columbus town, but not before a house-warming party in Northern Kentucky and we swung by Bradley's to pick up my single most important piece of running equipment in the winter... my blue Nike wind-negating space jacket. It's a gem. I had left it there over the Farles Bachelor Party Weekend Bonanza. I had gotten up early that Saturday for a run and was told to hit the trails in French Park. I'm glad I did... and not so glad... all at the same time. It upsets me that there isn't a damn thing like that in Columbus. You want trails? Run in your backyard. It's awful. That alone would be reason to go back, because it's not just French Park that offers you trail running in the city.

But alas, Thanksgiving is over. An unintended 13.25 this morning in some pretty windy conditions. And the legs were still a little sore from that friggin' football game... but I was just so glad to get my jacket back, I had to keep going.

1 comment:

bshawise said...

i would be the happiest diabetic in the nati if you came back. i may even join you on a trail or two. your space jacket could hold my granolis.