Monday, December 15, 2008

Pajama Party Pt.2

Over the hills and through the woods... you know the rest of it. But that was Saturday, so let me take a step back. I got to watch Lauren Friday night. Erica and I got a pizza and anticipated the group from Cincinnati. They were coming up for a friend's holiday party and so after A TON of phone calls to cancel my plans for the evening, I was able to hang out with my niece for the night and the following morning... which was a blast. She's getting big and fast and mumbly. She talks to herself but not really... or maybe I just can't understand it yet. She's also on the verge of walking so the girl's need to move knows no limits. But we're at least still in the stage where repetition is your ally. I wore out my F12 key as Lauren tried to figure out just how things were zooming in and out of nowhere. The magnetic power cord was another fan favorite. Apple... for babies too.

And lo and behold, wouldn't you know it... Ryan and Leslie were planning a trip to Englewood as well. So we all met once again at my grandma's house later in the day. My Uncle Chuck also came up to retrieve the prayer cards that had been reprinted from last week's 90th birthday party. And then I had the honor of taking my grandma to Skyline at 48 and 70 for an inaugural cheese coney. She also topped it off with a 3-way and cleaned her plate. How proud I was.

After calling it a night in Englewood, I headed north on 48 en route to Piqua. BIG NEWS in P-town. Sixteen city workers got an early Christmas present this year with the winning Mega Millions lottery ticket worth $207MM. That's roughly $9MM apiece. Not bad. You just never think that it would ever happen to folks you know. Hmm... $9MM. I wonder if that would buy me a new IT Band? After a week off, and some compression band advice from my brother, I took off for what I hoped would be three easy miles Saturday. I got through a mile of it, maybe... before the pain set in and I was reduced to a hobbling mess. So the following day, I headed to the local running store to purchase a different compression band. This time, it kind of worked. I was able to run four... kind of. So armed with all kinds of newfound confidence, I set out Monday morning, in hopes of topping Sunday's feat. It didn't start so well, but an adjustment a half mile in saw me through the next four, including a sizable hill, so I was again, hopeful. I'm taking Tuesday off in hopes that the rest will help in the recovery department. In the meantime, stretching, ice and strengthening every day. Finally, a little hope. But, to keep things in perspective, I am fortunate enough to have been able to run in the first place. Many would kill to be able just to walk.

No comments: