Saturday, April 4, 2009

J. Tyler: Headstone Architecter


We spent the day in Dayton Saturday with my Grandma Alberts. While there, we visited Calvary Cemetery to finally see my Grandpa's recently erected headstone. About a year ago, there was talk of a custom monument for the Alberts plot. I knew nothing about materials, capabilities, etc... but coming up with something that was unique as well as intrinsic to my grandparents was an interesting challenge. I always feel the pressure a bit more when doing pro bono work for family and friends. It's because I want it to be the best. It's for the people I care most about. So it was fairly daunting to think that you'd be entrusted to create something seemingly permanent.

My mom had met a guy out of Logan that sold stone sculptures at local festivals on weekends and was in the monument business during the week. He was really the one that made this happen. Yes, the process was awkward at times and it didn't turn out exactly like I had intended, but like I said, he made it happen. A lot of others would've either charged us twice what we paid or they would've immediately told us to take a hike. But damn, isn't that ALBERTS type a little tight? j/k... lol...

So there it is. I still know nothing about materials, capabilities, etc... but add it to the resumé.

3 comments:

bshawise said...

you stack that type like that?

tyler said...

jesus did.

John Shaw said...

the Dean bought you and brad tickets to come talk at my school. hope you're available next week.