Thursday, April 16, 2009

OK, But Just For Tonight...

I'm letting the bike sleep in the kitchen for the night. She's tuned up and ready for the weekend, so I'd rather keep her that way... at least until the gun goes off. 

This weekend will find me in Brownstown, IN for an "adventure" race put on by a group called Planet Adventure. I think they're based out of Indy, but this will be my second race with them. The first was two years ago in the same location and I've never been so beat down in my life. Physically, it was the hardest thing I'd ever done and still is. Three of us did a similar race in Ohio last year and did pretty good for half the race and lousy the other half. While my physical preparedness improved, my map-reading skills had not and that cost us in the end.

There'll be nine of us fellers converging onto Jackson-Washington State Forest Friday night which makes three, three-man teams. At last count there were 62 teams. Yikes. One teammate of mine this year was our third man the first year and he was a superstar. He bounded up hills like a gazelle. He was virtually never tired and there I was in the back, wishing for a heart attack. So this race is a redemption race of sorts. I took those hills for granted two years ago. This time around, I hope I can earn their respect as well as the respect of the third man. I let him and the rest of the team down. I'm going to do my damdest to make sure it doesn't happen again. But along the way we'll have a good time. After all, what could be better than running through the woods for four or five hours?... running through them for 24... hmm, very tempting.

No comments: