Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day 2010

Sunday was Father's Day and the in-laws had the day booked, so I planned on heading to Piqua Saturday to get a round of golf in during the early evening hours with my dad to beat the heat as best we could. Plus, he doesn't like a whole lot of witnesses around to watch me whip him all over the course.

We went out with my sister Friday night to see Those Darlins. A rough & tumble group of ladies, to say the least, but they put on a great show. I'm just glad I wasn't up at the front. Woke up Saturday and my dad had called to see if I got his text message from last night. I hadn't so he went on to say that his friend, my godfather, Jim Hemm had called to see if we'd want to go fishing. We certainly would.

It's been years since I've dropped a line into Hemm Lake and I've been anxious to get back. Hemm Lake is a 6-7 acre spring-fed pond situated on the south end of town inside Mike Hemm's property on Hemm Road. That's a lot of Hemm's... that's why they named a road after them. Mike is Jim's cousin and was once the judge for Miami County until he retired. The lake was an old quarry long ago and now serves as the centerpiece to an outdoor association that uses the grounds for shooting guns and catching fish. This is where I first learned to fish, even shoot. I worked in the trap house on Sundays. I swan in the lake during parties.

I was a little rusty, but it felt pretty good to step into that same old boat, push off and toss in a line or two. Jim brought his two grandsons along and Hayden pulled in blue gill left and right. TNT caught the first bass as well as the biggest (not pictured). I caught three and Jim caught four or five. It wouldn't have mattered if we hadn't caught a thing, it was just good to be back out on the boat. We fished well into the night and Jim, Brandon and Hayden took three of the bass home with them for breakfast.

Already looking forward to the next time.

No comments: