Friday, July 23, 2010

Chair Bears

My homeboy, Brad, came downtown the other day looking for chairs. Chairs that might inspire one to... oh... make a movie. I wanted in on some of these chairs so I met him down at Elgin furniture. Just a couple blocks from Envoi.

For years I've been wondering just how they've managed to stay open. After some time was spent browsing the first floor showroom, we took it to the next level. Actually, it was the fifth level we took it to and that's when I realized they weren't in business at all. They were a homeless shelter... for chairs. An entire floor of an old warehouse devoted to office chairs. Stacked, piled and strewn about.

The stifling heat aside, it was an interesting trip to a place I've never been. I would simply suggest you go when the weather's a bit more hospitable. I bet it was 110º up there.

1 comment:

bshawise said...

it's like a bathhouse for chairs. a hot, dusty orgy.