Monday, January 26, 2009

The Dreadmill

"Dreadmill" is a term often used by runners to cleverly describe how they feel about the mechanical running machines known as treadmills. That couldn't be further from the truth in this instance, but first, let me explain my experience... 

It was three years ago when Erica and I got memberships to the downtown YWCA specifically for the use of their treadmills. It sucked... or maybe the problem was that I sucked. It was a terrible experience and I whole-heartedly agreed with the "dreadmill" stigma. I would struggle to make it three miles while Erica breezed through her workout. I soon gave up on the incessantly looping belt and found that the hours spent in the cold were easier than the time spent on said "dreadmill".

But this winter finds me keeping up on my miles. I was running last year but had taken the entire month of December off... and then I only ran three days a week until February. So running five days a week along with riding my bike to work has allowed me to take in the entire breadth of winter. They describe winter as an old man. I disagree. Winter is Angelina Jolie in Wanted... cold, merciless and very capable of killing you... but beautiful, nonetheless. On top of it all, Erica doesn't like to be cold, so it was with open arms that we agreed to "hold onto" my parent's treadmill for an undetermined amount of time. Many thanks to them as my five miles this morning were done in a t-shirt. And the relocation went well. Nary a muscle was pulled in the entire process. So there it sits in the basement... a perfect fit.

3 comments:

bshawise said...

you're so fast you're half invisible.

Brad H said...

Rocky never ran on a treadmill.

tyler said...

and looked how he turned out.