Friday, January 16, 2009

Schooled... Again

Last night, the CSCA put on a little design shindig once again... the first for 2009. Presenting, was Mr. Armin Vit. I've talked about this before... ehh, way back in March, but people like this amaze and humble me all at the same time. I know their objective is to enlighten, but it's inevitable that I walk out of there wishing I was paving roads or something... not taking anything away from someone that can pave a road, but I'm just saying that being physically tired at the end of the day feels like the best route for me after one of these lectures. But he really said some pretty amazing things and I was glad to have attended. He reminded me of a younger, more Mexican and energetic Tony Spaeth.

The event moved from CCAD to Knowlton Hall on OSU's campus. It houses the architecture students and maybe some designers... not sure. It was a great space. Reminded me of the Wolfson Center, which is part of the DAAP building on UC's campus. We took freshman classes there and the four or five flights we climbed stole any appreciation I had for its sterile aesthetic. I can't think of that place without breathing heavy.

And the night ended with a long walk home in the cold. The wind was fairly stiff, but I kept warm. I'm sure it's worse in other parts of the world. But I got punk'd by the weatherman when I woke up this morning. I saw the -10º and it scared me back to bed. In hindsight, I should've laced up the Supernova's and hit the streets. It wasn't that bad. And just to note: kudos to the pilot of that U.S. Airways flight for giving the passengers a chance to get out. Unreal story, unreal ending.

1 comment:

bshawise said...

a sad story of cigarettes ruining one's ability to appreciate architecture.