Monday, January 4, 2010

2010. Bring It.


I'd be more pumped if I wasn't so tired. Deciding that it's OK to sleep past 10am one day doesn't make or break a schedule. Deciding to do it for a week does. I couldn't believe how early 6am felt. But a great trick is preparing the coffee pot the night before and setting it to start about five minutes before the alarm goes off. Nothing gets me out of bed like the thought of a nice warm muggajoe. I also had the recently-purchased Communication Arts 2009 Design Annual waiting on me. Mmmm... piping hot coffee and the potential for idea thievery... how couldn't you hop right out of bed!?!

And my resolution for 2010? "Get Better." That's it. Apply liberally and see what happens.

The holidays were good. Low key. Erica got me a turntable. It's pretty great. I've been listening to Tchaichovsky's Piano Concerto 1 pretty much non-stop. The Tyler Family gift exchange got a shakeup in the form of a white elephant and that seemed to go over well... here's to one more year. New Year's Eve consisted of a nice dinner and watching the ball drop... realizing it's best to keep the TV turned off for all but the final five minutes. I can't believe that mess of a show brought in advertising dollars.

Some memorable moments of 2009: got married on 08/22; my niece, Kendall Marie, was born on 09/15; ran three marathons and got my "Boston Qualifier" at Columbus; had my first run-in with a car, albeit the door; designed a "collectible" item; ran 1861.2 miles altogether; Oscar and Boomer, two of the finest dogs to have ever graced us with their presence, passed on; my parents moved from the house that I'd known for 23 years; found out that Maine is a pretty rockin' state... at least the parts I saw; found out that Jersey is... well... not a rockin' state; designed a headstone; and I kind of helped put together a shed. All in all, it was a great year.

The holidays ended up being so low key, in fact, that I didn't take a whole lot of pictures. After finding a relatively close "trail" to run on at Antrim Lake in Worthington, I took to the task of making my first pair of "screw" shoes so that I could still get a good run in despite the snow and ice that often hangs around. I took 5/8" sheet metal screws and drilled them into the bottom of some old runners... 15 on each shoe. They work unbelievably well but were a complete pain in the ass to get in there. Getting a screw into the sole of a shoe, even with a vice grip, is no easy task. The other shot is just our door. I was really really bored yesterday, but did get a Bruegger's bacon, egg and cheese on everything bagel. Dang, it was somethin'.

No comments: