Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Other Side of the Tracks

At the end of Mound Street lies a forgotten little world of an overgrown holding pond. Turn to the right and you'd see two heaping behemoths of construction magic known as the Miranova Buildings... One and Two, respectively. Behind you, a conglomeration of interstate highways. I think 70 is in on it. And the Scioto runs just beyond that far wall... hence the bridge. 

It's interesting to me for a couple of reasons. One is that from this angle, it could be Piqua, my hometown, right smack in the middle of Columbus. Two, due to the multiple bridges, there is a lot of wall space for graffiti. I personally like graffiti. I don't know very much about it, but I think it's beautiful. Much more so than 300 square feet of 18% grey. It's all over the supports for the interstate(s) and a lot of it looks amazing. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time yesterday, but I would like to see all of it.

But I like these "in-between" areas. They're the small disjointed pieces of urban space that you see off of highways or stuck behind large construction projects. They do alright. And depending on who's noticing, they get a lot of use. The graffiti gang uses the space as their studio. The vagrants use the overpasses to get out of the weather. It's a shortcut if you're walking from the west side to downtown. It might even be a great place to do drugs.

No comments: