Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Small Stuff

I'm a fan of this chair. I have a set of four. I acquired them when I worked for the now defunct Inspire Magazine in Cincinnati. As bad as that job was, I took from it as much, if not more, than what I thought I had given. This chair and its three siblings remind me of that.

They are great chairs, though. Simple lines, well built, strong, with "YUGOSLAVIA" lightly stamped onto the bottom of the seat. I know their story from the fall of 2002 to the present, but prior to that is anyone's guess. I prefer the way they look to most chairs, yes, but what I'm most fond of is that they're different... at least compared to my references. I've never seen chairs like this. They tell a better story than the more ergonomic, mass-produced chairs of today. But who knows, these might've been the "ergonomic, mass-produced" chairs of the 60's. I suppose it's that I feel these four chairs have more to offer me than a set that I might buy at Crate & Barrel out of a box. I just like things that have tales to tell... that's all.

No comments: