Thursday, February 21, 2008

Run Forrest

This is what my road has looked like as of late. I run. Some purists would argue that it's more like jogging, but I sweat and breathe hard... I'm running. 

Running is a funny thing. When I played sports in high school, I never had the faintest idea of what it would be like to just stop. To stop running sprints or perhaps stop mid-play in practice was inconceivable. But now I'm an adult. It's often that running sucks. Heavy snow makes it tough to see. Add wind and some ice that's been hidden by said snow... and you have more to worry about than whether your knee is still sore from the other day. But I can stop. No one is blowing a whistle or waiting to make an example out of me. I have stopped and it's an awful awful feeling. I didn't quit on any coach, I quit on me. I was able to convince myself that I could go no further.

So I head out in weather like this because not a lot of people will. I get strange looks but every once and a while someone will say "Way to go!" and mean it. Plus, running in fresh snow is the best. Not a lot of traffic and when it's cold, the air is thick. Drink it up because the humid stagnant days will soon be here. Not only that, the first race of the year is at the end of March. 15K in Cincinnati for the Mini Heart Marathon. It will be my first time running it and I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: