Friday, February 29, 2008

Ohmmm... Sweet Ohmmm

This is where I spend the majority of my week... a cubicle. Envoi rents a space out of Two Miranova so that I don't spend ALL my time in the apartment. It's a sad state of affairs. I've been here somewhere in the neighborhood of a year, and as temporary as this was supposed to be, it's feeling more and more permanent. 

The building itself is a single, sealed block. The windows don't open. I'm guessing that's so people don't jump. I work within Ethan Interactive. I rarely interact with Ethan Interactive. They're on the other side of the wall and there's only two or three present at a time. Ideally, I'd be in a space with multiple freelance designers, architects, homeless people... whoever. This apparently doesn't exist in Columbus. Recently, someone had just such a posting on craigslist. Upon inquiring, they said they would contact me in a couple of weeks. It's been over a month. I think it was a marketing group that was only interested in hawking people's work. Shady cats.

This lack of interaction eats at the core. People NEED other people to talk to... or as demonstrated so many times before, they go crazy. Over the course of this year, I've noticed I'm far more anxious and squirrelly in conversation with strangers than I've ever been before. I find myself wanting to be left alone when that's never been the case at all. It also puts undue strain on any relationship you might be in. I do 85% of my interpersonal communicating with Erica. So if it's not positive, I've really screwed myself for the day. Because of that, any argument or fight is exaggerated, making things all that more difficult.

No comments: