Monday, April 28, 2008

Roughin' It

An impromptu camping trip with some Indy/Cincy dudes took place at Hueston Woods near Oxford over the weekend. It was a good opportunity to get away. Erica had mounds of homework to get through and the warm weather had been pulling and tugging, tugging and pulling.

Got out of Columbus way too late on Friday, of course... but made the 110 mile trek in surprisingly good time and arrived at the site just before dark. Ate, drank and got to bed at 2 am. Time flies as they say. The floodgates opened around 4 in the morning and it came down pretty good for some time. We stayed dry but the worst part was having to piss and not wanting to run out in the middle of a rainstorm, but hardly being able to stand the sound of the deluge pouring over the tent. It finally let up, and I finally pissed and headed straight back to the warmth of the sleeping bag.

Woke up Saturday morning and ran the loop around the park with Elliott. Ended up being almost 9 miles altogether, but hilly as hell. It was a good run and the last long one before the mini. After that, I was ready to relax and have fun. We went mountain biking for the better part of the afternoon. It was a crazy beautiful afternoon and aside from a broken chain, good times were had and we even had enough time to play 9 holes on a great golf course before the sun had set. The rest of the night was spent around a campfire. Finally turned in and the cold weather allowed me to let the sleeping bag completely envelope me. I can't wait to get back.

But now it's Monday and I'm still on the run. I can't wait to get back to my bed tonight and throw down on some serious laundry. Well, I'm not looking forward to the laundry. I am looking forward to this weekend. Indy Mini time and I think I can actually say that I'm ready for it. New shoes... wicking undies, shirts, shorts and socks... carbo cubes... what else could I possibly need? Maybe good weather.

No comments: