Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Big O

I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a packrat, but I have a hard time throwing away things like movie stubs, tickets to sporting events and shows, race bibs, cards that friends and family have sent or any other small trinket that would help remind me of a specific day, event or person. I still have in my possession a wine cork from Anticoli's in Dayton. The entire Alberts family had dinner there to celebrate my grandparents' 40th wedding anniversary. That was 20 years ago.

So for me, this kind of stashing takes a little bit of discipline as I'm not a big fan of clutter. I like to know where things are. Anyways, while organizing some junk recently I came across some photos I had taken with my film camera a few years ago. I figure now would be as good a time as ever to scan them and import them into iPhoto.

Above is Oscar out front of the 1334 studio. It was taken in the summer of 2004 when he wasn't all that old. He's a big beautiful lab full of choco fur. Oscar is beyond strange. If he were human, there would be no end to the psycho-sedating drugs he would be on. He won't climb stairs, he's horrified of the unknown and very nearly comes out of his skin in social settings. Sticky Steve used to bring him to the studio everyday until Oscar recently decided that even the car ride was just too much. But when he would visit, he had another habit... at 11am every morning, he would beg Phil (co-Envoi-er) for a walk. Every day and never more than 2 or 3 minutes shy of 11am. Just like RainMan... except for the K-Mart undies and card counting. 

But with all the eccentric qualities this dog possesses, he has one of the more amazing talents I've ever seen. My bosses have a place on Williamstown Lake (I think) and nailed to the dock is a vertical ladder for the kids to climb out of the water. Oscar will climb that ladder as well. I don't know, maybe this is more common than what I'm thinking it is, but unbelievable, nonetheless. So yeah, the dog's personality is completely unconventional, but damn, he climbs ladders.

No comments: