Friday, February 13, 2009

On the Banks of the Olentangy

If only Keith Jackson were here to introduce this post, it might be perfect. You're in for a little treat today as I remembered to take my itty-bitty digi along with me on the LSR (Long, Slow Run) this morning.

I tend to go back and forth with myself throughout the week as to which route my long run should take. After two years in Columbus, I've built up an extensive system of said routes that could service anything from a one-mile jog to a 22-mile excursion. Some are in my head and some are mapped and saved on the internet. Many factors contribute to the path that is chosen but it's often not until I step into my runners that I've made up my mind. All week I'd been leaning towards a run to Griggs Reservoir but as I stepped out into the cold morning air, I knew I had to hit the upper Olentangy bike path. Weather and uncertain footing have kept me off it for several weeks and I was itching to get back to that river.

It's roughly 2.5 miles to the entrance of the path and after that, I can run as far north as I'd like before turning around. Today's schedule called for 11 miles so I turned around at the entrance to Whetstone Park just south of Henderson Road... which as far as I could tell on the map was about 5.5 miles (ended up being 5.75). I documented some items of interest along the way... the Horseshoe as the sun was coming up, a bridge crossing over the Olentangy and an open field in a place where it's hard to believe there would be one.

A great run and a great way to follow up #30. On top of my parents coming over to take me out to lunch with 25 lbs of peanut butter cookies, Erica took me out to dinner, bought me my first Sudoku book, a back cushion for the car and a lovely card. I also got a huuuuge cookie bouquet from my siblings and niece along with countless cards from friends and family. Turning 30 wasn't so bad after all. Although, I wouldn't suggest having BBQ for lunch, a Schlow burger for dinner, at least a dozen cookies in between and then waking up the next morning and running 11+ miles.

1 comment:

Nate Williams said...

As Keith Jackson would say.....WHOOO NELLIE!!! Look who is stong as the Rockies and as quick as the Mississippi.....Happy Birthday!!