Saturday, March 8, 2008

Take Cover: Day 2

Everyone's gone! It was worse than even I could've imagined. I came across this grisly scene as I took most of the day to assess the damage. A parking lot full of empty cars. It's a sure sign that all is lost. 

I got my 4 miler in early. The lack of traffic made it a great run, but I was nearly engulfed by the fleet of plows I came across on Northwest Boulevard. To see them on the big open freeways is one thing... to see them three-deep on a city street is a sight. They really do make every BucklRus with a plow on their F-150 look foolish. After a shower, I decided to set off into the white abyss. In total, I walked nearly 7 miles. The snow was very deep at times and I saved the headwind for the final leg. What was most ridiculous were the amount of cars on the road that you knew had no business being there. Honestly, unless it was Chipotle or family-owned, it wasn't open... and here some twenty-something is flying down 5th with a foot of snow still hanging on to the back of the car. Where's the fire? But there were a lot of people out walking around. It was fun, no doubt, but 60 degrees is already in the 5-day forecast. 

In total, they say over 20 inches of snow fell in this 2-day storm. I still say the storm in December of 2004 was worse. It all fell in the span of 24 hours. My car was completely buried.

No comments: